So- what is largesse? And what purpose does it serve in the SCA?
Largesse is a conglomeration of (generally handmade) items presented to a Royal or group within the SCA. Within the realm of our pageantry, they are presented as gifts or “taxes” but they are meant to be given freely and with the understanding of how they will be used later.
What purpose does Largesse serve in the SCA?
- It shows off the skills and generosity of our craftspeople and artisans within our own kingdom and others.
- The second is to provide royals or groups with gifts to pass on to their populace. These items are shared with groups and royals from other kingdoms. Thereby expanding the exposure of those artisans’ skills.
In Short largess is meant to end up back in the hands of populace- whether that is to a long standing member for their service as an event steward, an entire event team, or a newcomer to welcome them and encourage them to stay and explore more about our community
Who receives Largesse?
This may vary by Kingdom or local custom, but the common practice is to present items to sitting Royals- Kings/Queens/Princes/Princesses, etc. In An Tir, Barons and Baronesses also swap when visiting other lands as well, to help circulate different items around the Kingdom.
Who gives largesse?
There is a misconception that largesse requires only the BEST of the best to be considered worthy of gift or trade. And this isn’t true. While we LOVE getting items of beauty and skill, we also love receiving basic items, raw rattan or shield baskets, salts, spices, belts, yardages of cloth, etc.
We would also like to encourage the idea of patronage when it comes to largesse. We have hundreds of AMAZING artisans here in An Tir, and MANY more in the known world who make all kinds of items. If you can’t make something, then consider commissioning it from an artisan who can. Contact them and let them know what your budget is, what it is for and ask what they can do within those means. You will find often then will donate labor or assist in some other way to increase quality or quantity of largesse donations. (List of artisans to be linked from Wiki?)
Are there any limitations on what can be donated as largesse?
Yes! Please keep the following items at home to enjoy: Alcohol or marijuana based items (Including CBD at this time), perishable items, modern items, items that may be construed as graphic or age inappropriate. If you aren’t sure- check with your seneschal.
Don’t forget to LABEL your largesse!!!
For every piece of largess include:
- Your name (SCA is best)
- Branch name or contact information (email is fine)
- A description of your item- what is it? Where’s it from? (if you know(
- A list of ingredients- this is super important for items like salts, soaps, lotions, etc. (we need to make sure and keep our populace safe from allergies)